The Gypsy Garden
March 29, 2024, 06:23:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have the power to do and be and create anything you want. Remember to look where you want to go!

Home Help Store Classifieds Gallery Contact Login Register Chat  

Five element accupuncture

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Five element accupuncture  (Read 1079 times)
Lori Anne
Administrator
Sage

« on: April 18, 2008, 09:39:06 pm »

I have been thinking of going to school.. maybe take some healing courses.  That way could make a living doing something I love and am trained for, rather than just secretly healing people via remote or by touching them if I happen to be near them.    Roll Eyes
This is exciting to me and interesting at the same time:

Five element theory is one of the major systems of thought within Chinese medicine. From a historical perspective it is an important underpinning of medical theory and serves as one of the major diagnostic and treatment protocols. In modern clinical practice the five element theory is used in varying degrees depending on the practitioner and style of acupuncture that they practice.

Primary Correspondences Within Five Element Theory
The Five Element theory is based on the observation of the natural cycles and interrelationships in both our environment and within ourselves. The foundation of the theory rests in the correspondences of each element to a variety of phenomena. The most common correspondences are listed in the chart below:

Five Element Cyles, Relationships and Interactions
Within five element theory there are four main relationships or ways in which the elements interact. The first of these is the generating (sheng, mother-child) cycle. This cycle describes the ways in which each element, serving as a mother, promotes the growth and development of the following child element.

Examples of this cycle are the Wood element providing the generative force for Fire, Fire providing the generative force for Earth, etc. This relationship provides the foundation for understanding five element theory and, consequently, where imbalances may arise within the cycle. If Earth, for example, is weakened from a poor diet and overwork you will see that more nourishment is requested from the Fire element to nourish Earth. Additionally, if Earth is weakened the Metal element may also be effected.

From a clinical perspective you may see people develop digestive issues from irregular eating, excessive worry and overwork which leads to a proliferation of dampness which then effects the Metal element. Within this case you may see a combination of bloating, gas and poor energy with the development of Metal (Lung) symptoms such as sinusitis or phlegm-type asthma.

The controlling (ke, grandparent-grandchild) cycle provides for a check and balance system among all of the elements. Within this cycle Earth, for example, provides a control for Water and is controlled by Wood. An example of this relationship within the body is in cases of anxiety (Fire) which are related to LV Qi Stagnation (Wood) where, over time, you begin to see more Kidney (Water) related signs as the Water element attempts to control the overactive Fire.

The overacting cycle (cheng) is an imbalance within the controlling cycle where the grandmother element provides too much control over the grandchild and weakens the element. Within nature you may see Water putting out Fire, Earth soaking up Water and so on.

A clinical example of this relationship would be Liver (Wood) overacting on the Spleen (Earth). In this case you have an overactive Wood element overcontrolling Earth leading to distruptions in the digestive system.

The insulting cycle (wu) is also an imbalance within the controlling cycle where the grandchild insults or returns the controlling force generated by the grandmother. Using examples from nature you can see Fire burning up Water and Water washing away Earth and so on.

Clinically you may see this in cases where people have long-term psychological problems (Fire) which eventually effect the Kidneys (Water) as seen in the development of more Yin (Water) deficiency signs.

http://www.yinyanghouse.com/theory/chinese/five_element_acupuncture_theory

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 10:20:20 pm by feathersong » Report Spam   Logged

The Great Spirit, in placing men on the Earth,
desired them to take good care of the ground and do each
other no harm...

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lori Anne
Administrator
Sage

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:14:40 pm »

One of the most well-known of Taoist neidan (Inner Alchemy) practices is the "Inner Smile" - in which we smile inwardly to each of the major organs of our body, activating within us the energy of loving-kindness, and waking up the Five-Element associational network. Here we will learn a variation on this classic practice, which allows us to direct the healing energy of a smile into any part of our body that we would like ...

Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 10 - 30 minutes, or longer if you'd like

Here's How:
Sit comfortably, either on a straight-backed chair, or on the floor. The important thing is for your spine to be in an upright position, and your head arranged to allow the muscles of your neck and throat to feel relaxed.

Take a couple of deep, slow breaths, noticing how your abdomen rises with each inhalation, then relaxes back toward your spine with each exhalation. Let go of thoughts of past or future.
Rest the tip of your tongue gently on the roof of your mouth, somewhere behind, and close to, your upper front teeth. You'll find the spot that feels perfect.

Smile gently, allowing your lips to feel full and smooth as they spread to the side and lift just slightly. This smile should be kind of like the Mona Lisa smile, or how we might smile - mostly to ourselves - if we had just gotten a joke that someone told us several days ago: nothing too extreme, just the kind of thing that relaxes our entire face and head, and makes us start to feel good inside.

Now bring your attention to the space between your eyebrows (the "Third Eye" center). As you rest your attention there, energy will begin to gather. Imagine that place to be like a pool of warm water, and as energy pools there, let your attention drift deeper into that pool - back and toward the center of your head.

Let your attention rest now right in the center of your brain - the space equidistant between the tips of your ears. This is a place referred to in Taoism as the Crystal Palace - home to the pineal, pituitary, thalamus and hypothalamus glands. Feel the energy gathering in this powerful place.
Allow this energy gathering in the Crystal Palace to flow forward into your eyes. Feel your eyes becoming "smiling eyes." To enhance this, you can imagine that you're gazing into the eyes of the person who you love the most, and they're gazing back at you ... infusing your eyes with this quality of loving-kindness and delight.

Now, direct the energy of your smiling eyes back and down into some place in your body that would like some of this healing energy. It might be a place where you've recently had an injury or illness. It might be a place that just feels a little numb or "sleepy," or simply some place you've not recently explored. In any case, smile down into that place within your body, and feel that place opening to receive smile-energy.

Continue to smile into that place within your body, for as long as you'd like ... letting it soak up smile-energy like a sponge soaks up water.
When this feels complete, direct your inner gaze, with its smile-energy, into your navel center, feeling warmth and brightness gathering now in your lower belly.
Release the tip of your tongue from the roof of your mouth, and release the smile (or keep it if it now feels natural).

Tips:
As with all neidan practices, it's important to find a balance between effort and relaxation. If you notice a build-up of tension, relax, take a couple of deep breaths, then return to the practice. If your mind wanders, simply notice this, and come back to the practice.

Remember to maintain the quality of a gentle, genuine smile - infused with the energy of loving-kindness and compassion - particularly when directing your "inner smile" into an injured place. If you notice frustration, anger, fear or judgment creeping in, take a couple of deep breaths, then connect again with loving-kindness and compassion - the energies that can heal us.
The Crystal Palace is known also - in Hindu yogic traditions - as the Cave of Brahma.

http://taoism.about.com/od/meditation/ht/inner_smile.htm
Report Spam   Logged

other no harm...
Zamurito
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 01:21:17 am »

This was most amazing when I encountered it in massage therapy class.  I believe it was the Shiatsu course.

We can discuss this in a bit...right now i'm reveling in the full moon  Wink

z

Report Spam   Logged
Zamurito
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:21:18 am »

Heh....true.

Careless on my part.

We still had quite a blast last night with the fire built, the wind blowing and the moon.

Great experience.

I'll put up some pics when I get them downloaded.

z

Report Spam   Logged
Fire Dancer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 12:30:42 pm »

This was most amazing when I encountered it in massage therapy class.  I believe it was the Shiatsu course.

We can discuss this in a bit...right now i'm reveling in the full moon  Wink

z

The full moon will be on April 20th.

It's full now, El ... see the moon tracker ... lower left Wink
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:32:45 pm by Fire Dancer » Report Spam   Logged
Lori Anne
Administrator
Sage

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 12:36:07 pm »

Five element chart:

http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/5EList.htm

http://www.tcmstudent.com/study_tools/5%20Element%20Chart.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:37:41 pm by feathersong » Report Spam   Logged

other no harm...
Echo of paws
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 04:19:36 am »

I think that the 5-element cycle is a good way to relate to our body and energy cycles. It is a godo way for us to balance out our tonal and do something about being less at war with it. Harmonising the imbalances makes it smoother for us to relate to inner as well as outer.

Good luck with your project Lori, what are the 5 organs they relate to again?

The way of the healer requires that one has a system or set of systems used to balance oneself and other people...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 04:21:59 am by Blue Cloud » Report Spam   Logged
Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 05:27:31 am »

I think that the 5-element cycle is a good way to relate to our body and energy cycles. It is a godo way for us to balance out our tonal and do something about being less at war with it. Harmonising the imbalances makes it smoother for us to relate to inner as well as outer.

Good luck with your project Lori, what are the 5 organs they relate to again?

The five elements, wood, metal, fire, water and earth correspond to many (shall we say all?) of the organs.
There are yin organs, yang organs, sense organs and tissues. 
Here is a great chart, juat a little ways down the page. 
Primary Correspondences Within Five Element Theory  I wish I could somehow upload it directly to here, but can't seem to do so. Undecided

Report Spam   Logged

Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it
Echo of paws
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 04:26:43 am »

Hmm, yes it does seem more complex, what with the Yin organs and Yang organs... I had thought that there were 5, for example liver = wood, and that each element was one only. Thanks!

Report Spam   Logged
Lori Anne
Administrator
Sage

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 11:14:55 pm »

Bumping for reflection
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:28:46 pm by Lori Anne » Report Spam   Logged

other no harm...
Pages: [1]
  Print