The Gypsy Garden
March 29, 2024, 05:13:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have the power to do and be and create anything you want. Remember to look where you want to go!

Home Help Store Classifieds Gallery Contact Login Register Chat  

Happy for No Reason

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy for No Reason  (Read 634 times)
//^\\
The Warriors Way
Pathwalker

Salvia Ally

« on: May 15, 2009, 04:56:41 pm »

~

Shinichi Sensei says replace the dirty water in your glass one drop at a time. We see similar advice dispensed at philosophersnotes.com:

Big Idea - Marci Shimoff : Velcro vs. Teflon

"We're still hard-wired the same way: we pay more attention to the negative than to the positive. As the psychologist and brain researcher Dr. Rick Hanson explained to me during our interview, our brains are "Velcro for negativity and Teflon for positivity." Our negative experiences stick to us like Velcro, while our positive experiences slide right off us like Teflon. In fact, researchers have found that it takes numerous positive experiences to overcome a single negative one! Unfortunately, this wiring turns out to be disastrous for our happiness." ~ Marci Shimoff from Happy for No Reason

There's a great section in the book on the fact that we're descended from the "Nervous Nellies" and "Fearful Franks" of the tribe. The peeps who really paid attention to the threats in the environment were the ones who survived long enough to have kids who then had kids who then had us.

As a result, in short, we have a "negativity bias" such that negativity makes a greater impression on our brains and we have "hot amygdalas" such that if we're not careful, we're gonna have a *lot* more fight-or-flight adrenalin running through our system than we want!

How do we deal with that?

Again, it goes back to re-wiring. Marci says: "I'm not talking about wishful thinking, or simply deciding to be happier. That's like pasting a smiley face over our pain or spreading a layer of icing over cake that's burned to a cinder. The bad stuff is still there. What I'm talking about is accessing the higher center of your brain, your neocortex, to reverse the negativity bias and override your primitive alarm system."

And how about this?

"One evening a Cherokee elder told his grandson about the battle that goes on inside of people. He said, "My son, the battle is between the two `wolves' that live inside us all. One is Unhappiness. It is fear, worry, anger, jealousy, sorrow, self-pity, resentment, and inferiority. The other is Happiness. It is joy, love, hope, serenity, kindness, generosity, truth, and compassion."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed." ~ Marci Shimoff from Happy for No Reason

I *love* that. Which wolf are you feeding?

Marci talks about the power of neuro-plasticity and the fact that we're literally re-wiring our brains moment to moment to moment as we either continue to reinforce our old, unhappiness-creating behaviors or build new, happiness-affirming habits. She says we need to "Incline our mind to joy!" Powerful stuff.

One way we can do it is to "Register the Positive." As Marci says: "Have the intention to notice everything good that happens to you: any positive thought you have, anything you see, feel, taste, hear, or smell that brings you pleasure, a win you experience, a breakthrough in your understanding about something, an expression of your creativity--the list goes on and on. This intention activates the reticular activating system (RAS), a group of cells at the base of your brain stem responsible for sorting through the massive amounts of incoming information and bringing anything important to your attention. Have you ever bought a car and then suddenly started noticing the same make of car everywhere? It's the RAS at work. Now you can use it to be happier. When you decide to look for the positive, your RAS makes sure that's what you see."

That's a REALLY Big Idea.

Isn't it wacky that when you buy a new car all the sudden you see that model/color *everywhere*?!? The number of those cars (obviously) didn't change. What changed was your RAS started filtering those cars into your awareness because it was now relevant for you.

Same thing with positive and negative events. One really fun Idea Marci shares on this: start giving away awards throughout the day: the most beautiful flower award, the kindest driver award, the most amazing clouds award. By playing the game you're conditioning your mind to see the beauty and wonder of your world--which, of course, is a VERY good idea if you'd like to live with more joy.

Try it out. It's super fun. Smiley

(Brian Johnson, Philosopher)

Report Spam   Logged

Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:06:55 am »

~

Shinichi Sensei says replace the dirty water in your glass one drop at a time. We see similar advice dispensed at philosophersnotes.com:

Big Idea - Marci Shimoff : Velcro vs. Teflon

"We're still hard-wired the same way: we pay more attention to the negative than to the positive. As the psychologist and brain researcher Dr. Rick Hanson explained to me during our interview, our brains are "Velcro for negativity and Teflon for positivity." Our negative experiences stick to us like Velcro, while our positive experiences slide right off us like Teflon. In fact, researchers have found that it takes numerous positive experiences to overcome a single negative one! Unfortunately, this wiring turns out to be disastrous for our happiness." ~ Marci Shimoff from Happy for No Reason

I hear what she is saying, just have a bit of a different opinion here.  I don't think we are all hard-wired this way.

Mnay people are conditioned to see the positive in everything, to be optimistic, to look on the bright side.  The funny thing is though, that a lot of  negative folks do not like this and really seem to take offense to this sort of nature.  I hear comments all the time like I am hiding my head in the sand, living in denial etc.

It's okay though I realize that it only takes a small amount of positive energy to make a change.  Snowballs pretty fast!

And hey, won't hurt to try to remember what  Green Day says:
"Always look on the bight side of life.  Woo!"

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:13:14 am by songbird » Report Spam   Logged

Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it
//^\\
The Warriors Way
Pathwalker

Salvia Ally

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:17:53 am »

I hear what she is saying, just have a bit of a different opinion here.  I don't think we are all hard-wired this way.

Mnay people are conditioned to see the positive in everything, to be optimistic, to look on the bright side.  The funny thing is though, that a lot of  negative folks do not like this and really seem to take offense to this sort of nature.  I hear comments all the time like I am hiding my head in the sand, living in denial etc.

It's okay though I realize that it only takes a small amount of positive energy to make a change.  Snowballs pretty fast!

And hey, won't hurt to try to remember what  Green Day says:
"Always look on the bight side of life.  Woo!"

I'm still trying to figure out if there's really a 'me' to be hard wired  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors.
lightsun
Peaceweaver
Pathwalker

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 08:20:01 pm »

One reason, is that our brain is a natural problem solver. We
ruminate constantly, until we come up with the answer. It is,
as if, & it does the (brain), has a life of it's own. Wisdom is
seeking, to not control, but rather steer our destinies.
Report Spam   Logged
guest147
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 06:04:51 pm »

to be happy for no reason is as natural as to become unhappy for a reason.
further reasoning then would be searching for a culprit: the endless war, whether internal or external.

flaunting one's own happiness in the face of an unhappy other, is kind of cruel.
i do not foster pride and not expect jealousy or envy either.

i live in a society that consumes my family and my friends, and occupies my mind, too.
this is not the wolfpack anymore.

baying at the moon every so often. therefore!
Report Spam   Logged
guest147
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:14:44 am »

nice seeing you all, for the past 2 days.  Grin

midsummer celebrations under the midnight sun? can be extravagant, must be exquisite in the more spiritual realms of experience.

\!!

with love, from the awareness-side of (no) reason....

http://hken.ibtimes.com/articles/166905/20110621/summer-solstice-longest-day-celebrate-stonehenge-north-google-doodle.htm

\!!
happy equator day to everyone!
Report Spam   Logged
cabbageman
Nomad

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:08 am »

flaunting one's own happiness in the face of an unhappy other, is kind of cruel.
i do not foster pride and not expect jealousy or envy either.

Yes, flaunting your happiness in someone's face is cruel. However, shining your light on someone for even a second can change their day, week, month, life.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: