Are you allergic to your clothing?

(1/1)

Lori Anne:
What can I wear?

This is a page dedicated to helping those who are allergic to artificial fibers.

First, find out if you are allergic to the artificial fibers. How do you find out?

Wear a 100% acrylic or polyester sweater next to the skin. See if there is any reaction.

The most common reactions are: sweating, chills, damp feeling, clammy, followed by a rash.

Next; try a 100% cotton sweater, and see if you have the same reaction. If you do not, read on.

Artificial fiber clothing do not allow the body to breath. You must realize, the skin needs air. It needs circulation. Wrapping the body in air tight clothing makes you feel warm at first, then down right HOT!

Then you sweat.

Then the clothing becomes saturated, and if you are out in the cold,

You feel cold, quick!

The artificial fiber clothing is made from an assortment of chemicals. Some are even recycled plastic bottles!

Nylons are the biggest culprit, for making the body miserable. Women get yeast infections. WHY? Because the body was not breathing. You may as well wrap your body in plastic wrap. It is the same feeling to the body. Ick.

I am not knocking the plastic industry, but there is a place for plastic, and it is NOT on the human body.

Do your feet sweat? Maybe you have plastic linings in your shoes.

Do your hands sweat while in gloves? Maybe the gloves are acrylic.

So, what do we wear?

Being afflicted (or blessed) with this allergy, I have had to try a lot of different things, to achieve a nice look, without sacrificing looking good.

The fabrics and fibers we can wear are:

Sheep and Llama Wools, Linen, Cashmere, Silk, Cotton, Angora, Tencel, Rayon, Leathers and Ramie.

Please note: Cotton also means Gauze, Flannel, Velours and Corduroy.

Please check the labels.

So, let's start with the foundations:

Bras, camisole tops.
Wal-Mart has some 100% cotton bras, in a few styles. Some are seamless. Some have polyester lined elastics, so be careful about how much you think you can wear.
Check out the Summer tops, and choose the cotton/spandex tank tops. You may want a size smaller than what you normally wear. This will serve as a bra for many. The tank would look nice peeking out over the top of a buttoned blazer.
Underpants
Hanes Her Way is about the best underwear I have tried yet! The elastics on the legs are covered, available in a multitude of colors, styles and sizes.
Victorias Secret catalog has 100% cotton underwear, and under wire bras.
Romans carries the long legged underwear, for Summer. This way, you do not need leg coverings, and are still very comfortable. It has been common knowledge, a good pair of drawers will keep a lady happy.
Leggings or Nylons
I found 100% wool tights at SAMs, in Keene NH. They are well made, coming from Germany, and are well worth the 29.00
I have found 90% cotton, 10% spandex leggings at Wal-Mart. These are worn instead of Nylons. I know, you are saying "NO FEET!"
To this I say, wear socks, and wear boots. There are a ton of different styled boots and booties for us to wear.
If Silk (I MEAN REAL SILK) stockings are still being made, I think it is time we start purchasing these!
Eddie Bauer has Silk Pants. These are usually worn for skiing, but will do as "nylons" also.
Socks
Again. SAMs has many styles of socks, and I am sure most of your better hosiery stores will have plenty to choose from.
You will find socks made of silk, ramie, cotton, and/or cashmere.
Slips
Romans has 100% cotton slips. Newport News has Silk Chemises. These I wear under short dresses.
If you wear cotton leggings, you will need a Silk slip, if you are wearing a cotton knit dress. Static cling loves 3 layers of cotton.
Shoes and Boots
Check out Lands End, L.L. Bean and Eddie Bauer. If you have questions, ASK the customer service representative. They usually know what their stuff is made of.
Try to keep the linings leather, or wool. You will be glad you did.
Pants
Jeans are the old favorite. But, for dress pants; Cotton Twill, Rayon, and Corduroy fit the bill very well.
Sweatpants: Lands End, for 95% cotton/5% fleece
Toss the polyester stretch jobs. I have even found some polyester gives a funky odor when it gets damp.
Skirts & Dresses
Sheep and Llama Wools, Linen, Cashmere, Leathers, Silk, Cotton, Angora, Tencel, Rayon, and Ramie. Keep the artificial fibers to 10% or less. You may find your Angoras have some nylon in them, to give them strength.
Blouses & Shirts
Fleece Sweat shirts come in 100% cotton, and are easier to find than the pants.
Sheep and Llama Wools, Linen, Cashmere, Silk, Cotton, Angora, Tencel, Rayon, and Ramie. Keep the artificial fibers to 10% or less. You may find your Angoras have some nylon in them, to give them strength.
Hats, Scarves, Mittens, Coats & Jackets
Again; Sheep and Llama Wools, Linen, Cashmere, Silk, Cotton, Angora, Tencel, Leathers, Rayon, and Ramie.
Make sure the LININGS are not nylon or polyester! You will have defeated the purpose!
Pocket book
Make sure the handle is leather, or Rayon cord.
Bedding
Cover the mattress with 100% cotton mattress pad. Janices' has all your bedding needs, even the mattresses!
Use Cotton or Silk Sheets. NOT Satin, as Satin is Polyester.
Furniture and Car Seats
Leather covered is the best, and will last the longest.
The cheapest way out for this category? Go rustic with design, and cover everything in sheepskins.
Eddie Bauer had, for a limited time, a sofa with Goose Down filled cushions.
Ethan Allen will also fill your new furniture with Goose Down.

Lori Anne:
 A polyester allergy is a type of contact dermatitis: an allergic reaction to substances that come in contact with the skin. Adhesives, solvents and clothing containing latex, nylon or spandex all could contain enough polyester to cause a reaction.

Most Common
Itching at the site of contact is the most common symptom of contact dermatitis, including a polyester allergy.
Also Likely
In combination with itching, a rash may appear. Scratching will only make the rash worse and could cause it to spread or form lesions.
Other Symptoms
Polyester allergies don't affect everyone the same, but swelling, redness, warmth and tenderness often occur at the site of contact.
Latex
A respiratory reaction, such as shortness of breath, is common among latex glove users who are allergic to polyester.
Special Considerations
If already suffering from the skin condition eczema, contact dermatitis may make the allergic reaction worse.
Treatment and Prevention
Thoroughly wash the skin before applying topical corticosteroid skin creams or ointments. In severe cases, a short-term dose of an oral corticosteroid may be needed. In general, with proper treatment, the condition should recede or disappear within two to three weeks. Avoid reactions by carefully handling adhesives and solvents containing polyester and wearing gloves that don't contain latex. Avoid polyester clothing.

Lori Anne:
A synthetic material, such as acrylic, nylon or spandex that is used in almost every piece of winter clothing; they are used in saris as well. They can become very irritating for the skin.

Having an allergy to clothing is common, but it is mainly caused by the reaction of the skin to the clothing. Any type of eczema can be created or aggravated by these reactions. Polyester is a type of clothing that can be comfortable to wear, but not it is dangerous for people who are allergic. If the victim is suffering from eczema, polyester has the potential to aggravate it by causing itching. Most people with polyester allergies tend to have more sensitive skin than others. They also might find their skin irritated by polyester clothing.

Symptoms of polyester allergy include:
Red marks on legs
Red hives around upper torso
Rashes on legs
Hands become bright red colour
Irritant skin
Itching at the sight of contact
Shortness of breath common for people who wear tight rubber gloves.
Eczema can appear or get worse at the site of this type of clothing.

What makes it worse?
Tight clothes
Obesity
Moisture
Skin condition friction, trauma, damaged clothing effects
Lack of cleanliness, overheating of skin
Types of clothes, such as khaki, have the potential to worsen polyester allergy as well.
Increased skin surfaced lipids
Hyperhidrosis leaches dyes from fabrics of skin surface with dermatitis.

It is commonly known that cotton clothing is softer on the skin and does not irritate the skin. Pure 100% cotton or a wide mix of cotton is recommended more than polyester, especially for people with allergies to polyester.
If you still have questions to be answered about polyester allergy, please see your family doctor.

Lori Anne:
Allergic reactions are not always on the skin, it can include.

Head - Swelling of the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, or throat; headache

Lungs - Wheezing, tightness, cough, or shortness of breath

Nose - Stuffy nose, runny nose (clear, thin discharge), sneezing

Eyes - Red (bloodshot), itchy, swollen, or watery

Skin - Redness, itching, swelling, blistering, weeping, crusting, rash, eruptions, or hives (itchy bumps or welts)

Stomach - Pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or bloody diarrhea

Artificial (synthetics such as polyester) fiber clothing is made from an assortment of chemicals. Some are even recycled plastic bottles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index