The Gypsy Garden
April 18, 2024, 08:37:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All you need is Sunshine, Freedom, and a little flower

Home Help Store Classifieds Gallery Contact Login Register Chat  

The Internal Dialogue, Self Importance and War with the Self

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Internal Dialogue, Self Importance and War with the Self  (Read 727 times)
Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« on: June 06, 2013, 08:44:03 pm »

Talking about the Internal Dialogue earlier prompted me to do a little digging.

Found this great part of an interview with Florinda:

Abe:   What's the nature of the battle? Because you use the language of the warrior. What's the
              nature of the battle? What are you fighting?

Florinda:   The self.

Abe:   The self.

Florinda:   It's not even the self; it's an idea of the self, because if we would really get the self
              below the surface, we don't really know what it is. And it is possible to curtail this idea, this
              bombastic idea we have of the self. Because whether it's a negative idea or a positive idea
              doesn't really matter. The energy employed to sustain that idea is the same.

Abe:   So there's tremendous emphasis in this tradition on overcoming what is called
              self-importance.

Florinda:   Self-importance, exactly. That's the main battle. To shut off our internal dialogue.
              Because even if we're isolated someplace, we are still constantly talking to ourselves. That
              internal dialogue never stops. And what does the internal dialogue do? It always justifies itself,
              no matter what. We replay things, events, what we could have said or could have done, what we
              feel or don't feel. The emphasis is always on me. We're constantly spouting this mantra-
              me...me...me, silently or verbally.

Abe:   So, an opening emerges when...

Florinda:   ...when that dialogue shuts off. Automatically. We don't have to do anything. And the
              reason people reject Castaneda as not true is because it's too simple. But its sheer simplicity
              makes it the hardest thing there is to do for us. There are about six people in our world engaged
              in the same pursuit. And the difficulty we all have is totally shutting off that internal dialogue. It's
              fine if we're not threatened. But when certain buttons are pushed, our reactions arc so ingrained
              in us that it's so easy to go back on automatic pilot.

You see, there's one great exercise that Don
              Juan prescribes- the idea of recapitulation. The idea is that you recapitulate your life, basically.
              And it's not a psychological recapitulation. You want to bring back that energy you left in all the
              interactions you've had with people throughout your life, and you start of course from the present
              moment and you go backwards in lime. But if you really do a good recapitulation, you discover,
              by the time you are three or four years old, you have learned all your reactions already. Then we
              become more sophisticated, we can hide them better, but basically the pattern has already been
              established, how we're going to interact with the world and with our fellow human beings.

Abe:   So here is the image, then, or the awareness of a kind human being who is travelling a
              parallel path to the world of the Tonal, or the world of the person, the social person. This other
              world, his other opening, is something that has apparently always been there.

Florinda:   Yes, it's always there. It's available to all of us. Nobody wants to tap into it, or people
              think they want to tap into it, but as Don Juan pointed out, the seeker is involved in something
              else, because a person who seeks already knows what he's seeking.

Abe:   Yes, that's clear.

Florinda:   The disappointment that so many people who are "seekers" have with Castaneda is
              because, when he talks to them, well, they have already made up their mind how things should
              be. And they are not open. Even if they're listening, they're not open to anything anymore,
              because they already know how it should be, what it is they're seeking.

Abe:   My version of that is that I am not interested in self-improvement. I'm interested in
              self-realization, but not im- provement, and I'm not concerned with whether or not what I turn
              out to be in the process of recapitulation is something nice and spiritual and acceptable, because
              it's going to contain elements of madness as well as everything else.

Florinda:   Exactly.

Abe:   But this is a very deeply disturbing idea for most people.

Florinda:   It is, yes, definitely. You see, we believe in this idea that we are basically energetic
              beings. Don Juan said everything hinges on how much energy we have. Our energy to fight,
              even to fight the idea of the self, requires an enormous amount of energy. And we go always to
              the easiest path. We go back to what we know, even us who have been involved in this for so
              long. It would be a lot easier just to say, oh, to hell with it, you know, I' m just going to indulge a
              little bit. But the thing is, that little bit of indulging would plunge you right back to point zero again.

Abe:   Except for one thing that we both know, Florinda, which is this: that once you pass a
              certain point within yourself, if you have reached that silence, I believe, even for one moment, if
              its real...

Florinda:   ...you can't stop it. Exactly. But to reach this moment of silence you need the energy.
              You can stop it, what Juan calls this momentary pause, this cubic centimetre of chance, and you
              can stop it immediately.

Abe:   And once it's happened, you'll never be the same again.

Florinda:   Absolutely.

Abe:   And you might want to go back to your old ways and indulge, but you can 't get any
              satisfaction out of it.

Florinda:   Exactly. No, you can't. There's no satisfaction. That's totally correct. I think, if we
              would really arrive...let's say a critical mass would arrive at that feeling or at that knowledge, we
              could change things in the world. The reason nothing can change is because we're not willing to
              change ourselves, whether it's political dogma, economic or social issues, it doesn't really matter.
              What the hell is the whole thing with the rainforest and the environment at the moment? How
              can we expect someone to change if we're not willing to change ourselves? Thc change is
              phony; the change is restructuring or replaying the pieces, but there's no change. Basically we
              are predatory beings, you see. That hasn't changed in us. We could use that predatory energy to
              change our course, but we're not willing to change ourselves

She makes a lot of great points here, I think!
Report Spam   Logged

Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:51:11 pm »

Govinda, 1960:
"Revelation does not come about through discursive thought, intellectual analysis, or logical conclusions, but through the complete coming to rest and relinquishing of all thought-activities,   whereby we create the necessary conditions under which a direct vision of reality can arise."
Report Spam   Logged

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »

"We talk to ourselves incessantly about our world.  In fact we maintain our world with our internal talk.  And whenever we finish talking to ourselves about ourselves and our world, the world is always as it should be.  We renew it, we rekindle it with life, we uphold it with our internal talk.  Not only that, but we also choose our paths as we talk to ourselves. Thus we repeat the same choices over and over until the day we die, because we keep on repeating the same internal talk over and over until the day we die.  A warrior is aware of this and strives to stop  his internal talk."--Don Juan-From A Separate Reality
Report Spam   Logged

Sumerianrain
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:58:15 pm »

And so rhrough experience we enrich our selves and our lives through our complete being . Non in denial of experience but transcendence . Yet Not of our entirity as stasis, but through growth and impermanence , to wish for no thing for me is the same as death .
And yet also i see thE value in silence respectively , a war with self is a war with self .
A balance is much more than self and circumstance , in bringing n ew equations , as fractally as placement .
Report Spam   Logged
Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:48:18 pm »

It's not even the self; it's an idea of the self,
Report Spam   Logged

Sumerianrain
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:26:56 pm »

"Its " movement , experience , or its what we choose , yet choice
Report Spam   Logged
guest147
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:25:16 am »

oh, is it?

Report Spam   Logged
Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 07:50:09 pm »

I see it a transference of attention from the internal dialogue to the silent knowledge. The silent knowledge being capable of supporting any possibility.

Love this
Report Spam   Logged

guest147
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 06:31:18 am »

Jay Buchanan ~

and who would tell people to "stop the internal dialogue"?

who'd be so begrudging? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r447JifWsE
Report Spam   Logged
Sumerianrain
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44:17 am »

It seemed to be " stfu"
And then i get it ,
Yet how
Speak when silent?
Of course of course
Then "
Survival "
to speak ,
To placate and to move
Report Spam   Logged
guest147
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:50:53 am »

^
what one can sense
and what one can bear
how's it been expressed all
along?

http://www.wallpaper-gratis.eu/blume/holunderblute/holunderblute005_1024x768.jpg
Report Spam   Logged
marco
Nomad

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 06:05:33 pm »

I see it as a transference of attention from the internal dialogue to the silent knowledge.

I've been approaching it that way in recent weeks. As a result, internal silence is more accessible
than before.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: