The Gypsy Garden
March 28, 2024, 07:12:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have the power to do and be and create anything you want. Remember to look where you want to go!

Home Help Store Classifieds Gallery Contact Login Register Chat  

Universism

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Universism  (Read 136 times)
Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« on: June 30, 2013, 12:24:07 pm »

I thought I just made this up, but turns out it is a thing!
 Tongue
Like I said, formerly labeling myself as an atheist (now however, more of a Universe-ist Wink

Are you a Universist?

Universists are individuals who allow our personal philosophy to continue evolving. We are uplifted by a continuous search for meaning in a complex universe that deserves our unbounded vision and appreciation. Universism posits that religious philosophy should not be conceived in terms of one's views toward God, but rather the method and attitude with which one approaches religious questions. Universists embrace the creative force of uncertainty, which is fundamental to human progress. We determine our meaning and purpose individually; our understanding comes through personal reason and experience. Our universe is a beautiful constellation of ideas whose light is threatened only by the black hole of faith.

...If you agree with this statement, you've just found a word to use the next time you're asked about your beliefs. Spread the word: UNIVERSIST.
Report Spam   Logged

Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 12:26:58 pm »

universism (uncountable)

(philosophy) a movement advocating personal reason and experience and over faith and dogma

Universism is a religious philosophy that celebrates the mystery surrounding us. Universists don't pretend we have the answers, and we celebrate that fact! As Universists we do our best to seek answers, and the first step in our process of discovery is recognizing what we do not know. Our philosophy unites individuals who have held a wide variety of freethought perspectives along with those who consider themselves spiritual. Universists enjoy a vibrant, open-minded community that improves the world we live in.

Most belief systems center on your view of God. Universism breaks through this religious paradigm. It treats the God concept as one of many compelling questions concerning the nature of existence. Universism places emphasis on the attitude and spirit in which you address these religious questions, and the method you use to do so, rather than focusing on the conclusions you make. In other words, it’s not what you believe – but how you believe it.

UNIVERSIST WAYS OF KNOWING

Personal reason – The human brain reasons almost instantaneously as a life-saving reflex. You should employ this ability to your full capacity. You should seek to continually refine your views and be willing to change them as you learn more throughout your life.

Personal experience – Personal experiences are an important source of knowledge for the individual. However, you must understand that your experiences are not applicable to everyone. More importantly, the experiences of others may not be applicable to you.

Universists actively apply our personal reason and experience to the fundamental questions of human existence.

"Why are things as they are and not otherwise?"  – Johannes Kepler
UNIVERSIST QUESTIONS

Who am I?

Where did I come from?

Why am I here?

Where am I going?

What does it mean to be human?

Why does the universe exist?

Does God exist?

If God exists, what are its intentions?

If God does not exist, where do I find purpose?

What is right for me? What is wrong for me?

Universism does not answer these questions, it encourages them! These questions form the center we hold to in our lives; they are paramount to our existence.

“Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.” – Voltaire

Universists choose to unite via these questions rather than divide ourselves with our varied answers. We avoid faith, shared revelation, and dogma as efforts silence our questions by homogenizing religious thought.

A person's perception of reason is relative. Each mind is the result of a unique combination of biology, ideas, social and cultural influence, and unique personal experiences. Thus, there is no static  belief about the ultimate nature of existence in Universism. Our understanding is dynamic. There is no set creed, no dogma, and there are no religious authorities who dictate beliefs or behavior in Universism. Each Universist explores these questions within their mind, and also through discussion and debate with others.

Universists are inspired by our evolution as conscious beings in a universe of matter and energy with nothing holding us back from eventually working our way towards utopia, or destroying everything. Universists believe that we have ultimate power and ultimate uncertainty.

Uncertainty is the core of the human experience, and to remove it, as faith-based religion does, is dishonest and unrealistic. Moreover, denying the uncertainty that exists naturally within all of us perverts our perceptions of ourselves and society. Many faiths demand our submission to superstitious forces. Most importantly, all faiths offer up unquestionable "Truths" that remove the drive and curiosity necessary to ponder the many weighty questions implied by our very existence. These questions, and the search for their answers, are the life force behind human progress.

A society that thinks it has all the answers has no more use for questions.

Further, a faith-based worldview means there are people who know the Truth and others who do not; this leads to division and often hate. In a Universist worldview, no one can claim knowledge to certain Truth, encouraging us to repect each person's efforts at the search.

"For the belief in a single truth is the root cause for all evil in the world." – Max Born
THE UNIVERSIST ALTERNATIVE SUMMARIZED:
Universists apply their personal reason and experience to the essential questions of human existence, derive inspiration from the uncertainty of the human state, and deny the authority of shared revelation, faith, and dogma.

UNIVERSISTS SHARE FIVE PRINCIPLES:
I The most important activity in life is our ongoing search for meaning and purpose, through love, learning, life experience, and so on.

II There are no absolute truths that apply universally to all people. Both the search and its fruits are inherently personal. We must remain uncertain, curious, and open-minded about our search and cannot rely on other people or documents as the source of our truths. We must judge the meaning of our own lives.

III In any situation, moral judgments are the sole responsibility of those involved. Every decision and behavior occurs in the context of unique circumstances and relationships, and should never be subjected to universal religious codes or absolute philosophical principals. "Good or evil" is a false choice that belies the complexity of our universe and the people in it.

IV Governments and other social structures are only useful to the extent that they facilitate flourishing. People must be able to become and remain happy, healthy, educated and able to work toward personal goals without interfering with others' ability to do the same.

V We are free to flourish, change and create. Only the laws of nature limit our potential.

Universism addresses religious truth, not scientific truth. Religious truths include the ultimate nature of existence, the meaning of life, and the nature of the metaphysical. There is an objective reality and science is the tool to decipher it. That reality also applies to the nature of the human animal. As Edward O. Wilson wrote in Consilience, "The human condition is the most important frontier of the natural sciences." Whereas faith-based religions make claims on physical reality, Universism hands this area off to science.

Science works in the physical universe, and is respected and celebrated. But in terms of the metaphysical, science does not apply. Personal reason, intuition, experiences and perceived environment come into play and are valid sources for supplying one's religious views, far superior to the authority of revealed sources such as holy texts and myths.

Universists are passionate and optimistic about the search, yet we embrace uncertainty and appreciate its contribution to the human experience. Uncertainty serves as a motivating force for good that promotes respect among fellow seekers.

"This only is certain, that there is nothing certain." – Pliny "The Elder"

http://web.archive.org/web/20060215233551/www.universist.org/universismintroduction.htm
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 12:27:21 pm by Skyflower » Report Spam   Logged

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 02:44:50 pm »

I like this:

Universists choose to unite via these questions rather than divide ourselves with our varied answers. We avoid faith, shared revelation, and dogma as efforts silence our questions by homogenizing religious thought.

A person's perception of reason is relative. Each mind is the result of a unique combination of biology, ideas, social and cultural influence, and unique personal experiences. Thus, there is no static  belief about the ultimate nature of existence in Universism. Our understanding is dynamic. There is no set creed, no dogma, and there are no religious authorities who dictate beliefs or behavior in Universism. Each Universist explores these questions within their mind, and also through discussion and debate with others.

Universists are inspired by our evolution as conscious beings in a universe of matter and energy with nothing holding us back from eventually working our way towards utopia, or destroying everything. Universists believe that we have ultimate power and ultimate uncertainty.
Report Spam   Logged

guest147
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 03:15:50 pm »

I like this:

inspiration intensifies with time.

a chosen path that reveals a certain purpose, for infinite beings: how did spirit unite with matter, originally?
Report Spam   Logged
guest147
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:00:39 pm »

I'm all for no dogma

you're doing fine. glad for the exchanges .....
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: