The Gypsy Garden
March 29, 2024, 07:28:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome all new members!  We hope you enjoy your stay at the Gypsy Garden.  Please take your shoes off and stay a while.  Lots to read here, lots to learn.  Can we help you get comfortable?

Home Help Store Classifieds Gallery Contact Login Register Chat  

Hot and Cold: Crucial Aspects of Herbalism

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot and Cold: Crucial Aspects of Herbalism  (Read 706 times)
kish
Nomad

« on: June 11, 2008, 10:34:03 am »

Here is a video I just started watching. I have to run to work now for a bit, so I'll have to finish it later, but it sounds very interesting so far. Its called Hot and Cold: Crucial Aspects of Herbalism., and is about historic and modern uses for herbs 'medicinally'.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6720250368336924437&q=source:000092700691116007720&hl=en

Description:

Lecture by Simon Mills on crucial aspects of Herbalism (Phytotherapy), given at Schumacher College in Devon, England in February 2005. Simon Mills is a Cambridge graduate in medical sciences who has been a herbal practitioner since 1977. In 1987 he co-founded and then directed the Centre for Complementary Health Studies at the University of Exeter, the first ever University unit dedicated to studying therapeutic options outside the conventional medical curriculum. He was recently appointed as Nelson/Barcapel Teaching Fellow at the Peninsula Medical School with responsibility for developing the first taught MSc programme in Integrated Healthcare in any medical school in the UK. Since January 1997 he has been Secretary of the European Scientific Cooperative on Phytotherapy (ESCOP) which is the major European body working to ensure quality, safety and efficacy for herbal medicinal products. He has written many books and articles, including a modern classic and best-selling textbook with Kerry Bone, The Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy, published by Churchill Livingstone in early 2000.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:36:59 am »

Thank you Kish!

I am watching this right now with eyes peeled.  very interesting to me and goes in depth some of the herbs we talked about here the last couple days. Great Video.  I am off to do some research now.

I also like what he says about fever.  I remember when my kids were smaller and they'd get fevers people would tell me to give them medicine to take the fever down.  I knew that the fever was important and doing a job in the body.  I'd often get in 'trouble' for not taking care of the fever, but I felt i was doing the right thing.  So, nice to see the Traditional medicine supports this as well. yay.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:49:01 am by lori-ann » Report Spam   Logged

Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it
Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:46:18 am »

Hey kish,
I am curious if you got around to watching the rest of this.  I really enjoyed it.  Lots of good stuff in this clip!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 12:25:47 pm by Rhiannon » Report Spam   Logged

kish
Nomad

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 01:45:13 am »

Ya I just got around to watching this a few days ago. This video is wikked!

I actually have a small ginger plant growing right now. I wasn't aware just how powerful it is  Shocked

I want to try and grow some cinnamon as well, so I can mix up Simon's healing potion Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:32:49 am »

Ya I just got around to watching this a few days ago. This video is wikked!

I actually have a small ginger plant growing right now. I wasn't aware just how powerful it is  Shocked

I want to try and grow some cinnamon as well, so I can mix up Simon's healing potion Cool

Cool!

I've not grown ginger before (yet).   How did you do it?

Report Spam   Logged

mart
Nomad

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:25:11 pm »

Hello people  Smiley
I am watching the movie and wondering if there is a link associated with this.
The one they suggested in the movie: www.phytotherapy.com does not come up with anything significant.
love,
liz
Report Spam   Logged
Lori Anne
Administrator
Sage

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:51:44 pm »

Hello people  Smiley
I am watching the movie and wondering if there is a link associated with this.
The one they suggested in the movie: www.phytotherapy.com does not come up with anything significant.
love,
liz

I googled Simon Mills Hot and Cold Crucial aspects of herbalism..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+Simon+Mills+on+crucial+aspects+of+Herbalism&btnG=Search

Report Spam   Logged

The Great Spirit, in placing men on the Earth,
desired them to take good care of the ground and do each
other no harm...
kish
Nomad

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:26:50 pm »

Use .info instead of .com  Wink

http://www.phytotherapy.info/
Report Spam   Logged

Lori Anne
Administrator