The Gypsy Garden
March 28, 2024, 02:03:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have the power to do and be and create anything you want. Remember to look where you want to go!

Home Help Store Classifieds Gallery Contact Login Register Chat  

Lucid Dreams and OBEs

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lucid Dreams and OBEs  (Read 249 times)
Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« on: June 23, 2008, 06:05:51 am »

Linking Lucid Dreams and OBEs
Out of Body Experiences which I call OBEs, also sometimes referred to as OOBs or OOBEs. (pronounced ooby or oobies? )

A sensation or experience in which ones self or spirit travels to a different location than their physical body (See Astral Projection).

1. The same people tend to report both

2. Some lucid dreams lead directly into an OBE. In other words a person is asleep and dreaming and then, when lucid, dreams of leaving the body and flying around.

3. In both consciousness is reported as specially clear and vivid.

4.  Perceptions seems heightened or altered in both, that is different from our usual waking perception

5.  Flying is often reported in both lucid dreams and OBEs.

A few differences though:

Most OBEs occur during waking while most lucid dreams occur during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. Although some experiences resembling OBEs occur in sleep. Some researchers count these as OBEs while others do not.

OBEs  occur in a setting closely resembling the physical world while lucid dreams can occur in any setting you can imagine. In other words if I were having an OBE now I would see the tops of all your heads and be able to fly around this room  but if I had a lucid dream there might be aliens coming out from behind the curtains. or a gigantic hole opening up in the wall. Tongue

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:10:15 am by Lori Anne » Report Spam   Logged

Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:17:50 am »

A key ingredient to the new projection techniques is an invisible, imaginary ROPE hanging from your ceiling. This ROPE will be used to exert dynamic pressure at a single point on your astral body to force its separation from the physical.

The ROPE technique is similar, but more direct and hence more effective than other more passive and indirect methods, such as reaching out and pulling vibrations into you, or visualizing yourself in front of yourself.

The more passive, indirect methods of projection do exert some pressure on the astral body to separate, but over a wide area. They still shift the point of consciousness out of the body, albeit obtusely. Any mental action that exteriorizes the point of consciousness will exert some pressure on the astral body.

The action of pulling yourself hand over hand up a rope is a strong, one pointed, natural action that is easy to imagine yourself doing. The ROPE technique concentrates ALL your mental resources into one strong, DYNAMIC action which exerts a high level of pressure directly on a single point of the astral body.

There are many other, more subtle, ways that exert pressure on the astral body as well. Many of these are unsuspected for what they are. Most meditation exercises, for example, exert PASSIVE pressure on the astral body. You may imagine you are going down in a lift, falling, climbing down a ladder, or just floating downwards. Whatever the technique, it is designed to reduce brain activity. Any self induced, inward falling sensation places passive pressure on the astral body, which will cause brain activity to lower and bring on the trance state where a deeper level of the mind is revealed.

The action of inward falling obtusely shifts the consciousness out of the body, exerting passive pressure on the astral body over a wide area, but in the reverse to that needed for projection, i.e., general downwards pressure. This, in a way, is like trying to get your astral body to FALL out of your physical body on its own, i.e., your point of consciousness tries to FALL, downwards, out of the physical body.

Pin a length of ribbon, string or rope to the ceiling above you. Have it hanging within arms reach so you can easily reach up and touch it. Reach out and touch it frequently, until you are used to where it is in your mind. This ribbon is only a tactile aide. By being able to reach out and touch the ribbon, you used to the spatial coordinates of where the invisible, imaginary ROPE is. This grows both in your mind and hence as a thought form, making it easier to imagine yourself reaching out and climbing the ROPE with your imaginary HANDS.

All the exercises should be done separately from the projection itself. They are training and development exercises, designed to improve control over body and mind and to increase the flow of energy through the chakras. This is like working out in a gym as a part of football training. You don't actually use these exercises to play football, they just improve your fitness and strength so you are able to play football effectively.

Do the training exercises separately UNLESS you are trying for an advanced, real time projection. It is, then, still necessary to go through the full procedure, and activate all the chakras, prior to the actual projection.

The whole point of learning to project is to get your astral body to separate from the physical while fully conscious.

http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/rbruce5.html

Report Spam   Logged

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:28:20 am »

Many spontaneous OBEs start with a feeling of shaking or vibrating, and Monroe deliberately induces this state first. He suggests you do the following. First lie down in a darkened room in any comfortable position, but with your head pointing to magnetic north. Loosen clothing and remove any jewellery or metal objects, but be sure to stay warm. Ensure that you will not be disturbed and are not under any limitation of time. Begin by relaxing and then repeat to yourself five times, 'I will consciously perceive and remember all that I encounter during this relaxation procedure. I will recall in detail when I am completely awake only those matters which will be beneficial to my physical and mental being.' Then begin breathing through your half-open mouth.

The next step involves entering the state bordering sleep (the hypnagogic state). Monroe does not recommend any particular method of achieving this state. One method you might try is to hold your forearm up, while keeping your upper arm on the bed, or ground. As you start to fall asleep, your arm will fall, and you will awaken again. With practice you can learn to control the hypnagogic state without using your arm. Another method is to concentrate on an object. When other images start to enter your thoughts, you have entered the hypnagogic state. Passively watch these images. This will also help you maintain this state of near-sleep. Monroe calls this Condition A.

After first achieving this state Monroe recommends to deepen it. Begin to clear your mind and observe your field of vision through your closed eyes. Do nothing more for a while. Simply look through your closed eyelids at the blackness in front of you. After a while, you may notice light patterns. These are simply neural discharges and they have no specific effect. Ignore them. When they cease, one has entered what Monroe calls Condition B. From here, one must enter an even deeper state of relaxation which Monroe calls Condition C -- a state of such relaxation that you lose all awareness of the body and sensory stimulation. You are almost in a void in which your only source of stimulation will be your own thoughts. The ideal state for leaving your body is Condition D. This is Condition C when it is voluntarily induced from a rested and refreshed condition and is not the effect of normal fatigue. To achieve Condition D, Monroe suggests that you practice entering it in the morning or after a short nap.

With eyes closed look into the blackness at a spot about a foot from your forehead, concentrating your consciousness on that point. Move it gradually to three feet away, then six, and then turn it 90 degrees upward, reaching above your head. Monroe orders you to reach for the vibrations at that spot and then mentally pull them into your head. He explains how to recognize them when they occur. 'It is as if a surging, hissing, rhythmically pulsating wave of fiery sparks comes roaring into your head. From there it seems to sweep throughout your body, making it rigid and immobile.' This method is easier than it sounds.

Once you have achieved the vibrational state you have to learn to control it, to smooth out the vibrations by 'pulsing' them. At this point, Monroe warns it is impossible to turn back. He suggests reaching out an arm to grasp some object which you know is out of normal reach. Feel the object and then let your hand pass through it, before bringing it back, stopping the vibrations and checking the details and location of the object. This exercise will prepare you for full separation.

To leave the body Monroe advocates the 'lift-out' method. To employ this method think of getting lighter and of how nice it would be to float upwards. An alternative is the 'rotation' technique in which you turn over in bed, twisting first the top of the body, head and shoulders until you turn right over and float upwards. Later you can explore further. With sufficient practice Monroe claims that a wide variety of experiences are yours for the taking.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 07:36:04 am by lori-ann » Report Spam   Logged

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:31:13 am »

There are some drugs which can undoubtedly help initiate an OBE. Hallucinogens have long been used in various cultures to induce states like OBEs, and in our own culture OBEs are sometimes an accidental product of a drug experience. In absence of any further information we might already be able to guess which are the sorts of drugs likely to have this effect. They might be those which physically relax the subject while leaving his consciousness clear and alert. Drugs which distort sensory input and disrupt the subject's sense of where and what shape his body is ought to help, and so may anything which induces a sense of shaking or vibration. Imagery must be intensified without control being lost and finally there must be some reason, or wish, for leaving the body.

Considering these points hallucinogens might be expected to be more effective than stimulants, tranquillizers or sedatives. The latter may aid relaxation but help with none of the other features just mentioned. Few other types of drug have any relevant effect. This fact fits with what is known about the effectiveness of drugs for inducing OBEs. Monroe states that barbiturates and alcohol are harmful to the ability, and this makes sense since they would tend to reduce control over imagery even though they are relaxing. Eastman  states that barbiturates do not lead OBEs whereas morphine, ether, chloroform, major hallucinogens and hashish can.

Many entheogens can easily produce an OBE,  More on this later.

Report Spam   Logged

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:43:13 am »

A simple method I used to use to leave body when I first learned:

Lie down and get comfortable.  I like to do this outside if possible, but it is certainly not necessary.  Close your eyes and see a tiny point of light directly in front of you.  It should appear right between your brow at your third eye.  Concentrate on this dot of light, it may eventually get further and further away from you.  You may begin to feel tingly and or your body might start to get light and floaty.  At the same time, feel your self in the middle of your chest area just above the solar plexus, near your sternum.  At the same time the little white light is floating far away from you, feel yourself separate from your body at the point in your chest mentioned and follow the light up and out of your body.

Report Spam   Logged

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 12:05:46 pm »

I usually will lie down, go asleep just enough til I feel the vibration then I 'leap.' This is done even better during a nap because we're not as tired as when we go into long deep sleep.

True, and I also find it easier to do when napping on  the couch or suntanning outside, somewhere other than my bed.  I don't actually feel a vibration, just a tingly floaty feeling.  I suppose that could be considered a vibration though, couldn't it ?  After time, I think methods are not needed though they can be very helpful in the beginning.  I find I can just pop out pretty much whenever I want to now.  Though I try to be careful that I have time to do it properly. 

Once I didn't mean to go anywhere, was lying outside in the sun and left my body to go travel around the neighbourhood.  My daughter came to talk to me about something and this kinda jolted me back, but I think I was only partly back into my body.  Because I felt so weird.  Like I was walking on air, so light and floaty.  Cassidee kept asking me *Whats wrong with you Mom ?  Why do you look so funny ?*  It took me about an hour to figure out what was going on and figure out how to get the rest of me back in my body. 
 Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Zamurito
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:12:10 pm »

~

This is way cool  Wink

Same here.  At first when Monroe mentioned the 'vibrations' I had a difficult time 'seeing' it that way.  Over the past week I've been keenly aware of falling 'to sleep,' and can now accept that term via experience. 

I've attempted his 'rolling out of the physical body' method and has worked a few times.  It's new to me, so when I find myself facing 180 degrees from my physical body I attempt to 'do' something, thus screw it all up  Wink

z

Report Spam   Logged
Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:29:17 pm »

It's new to me, so when I find myself facing 180 degrees from my physical body I attempt to 'do' something, thus screw it all up  Wink

z

LOL I know!

I first learned to Astral Project outside when I was pretty young so the first few times I did it in the house, years later I had a real problem with the ceilings.  First time I felt a sudden cold flatness on my back which scared me right back into my body.  Then after a while it became less solid and easier to move through.  Doesn't  to bother me anymore though. 

haven't tried the rolling out method.  Would love to do so, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 12:56:16 pm »

When you have achieved the vibrational state, try to roll over as if you were turning over in bed. Do not attempt to roll over physically. Try to twist your body from the top and virtually roll over into your second body right out of your physical self. At this point, you will be out of the body but next to it. Think of floating upward, and you should find yourself floating above the body.
 Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 07:43:42 am »

LOL I know!

I first learned to Astral Project outside when I was pretty young so the first few times I did it in the house, years later I had a real problem with the ceilings.  First time I felt a sudden cold flatness on my back which scared me right back into my body. 

Reading something yesterday about Astral Projection helped me explain the above.  For many years I wondered, if i was popping up and out of my body, wouldn't my astral body just rise up same as physical body? If so then why would my back hit the ceiling.  Reading yesterday, research done by Munroe and others, indicates this:
Another intriguing disclosure of his was that when he occupied his second body, his body image was reversed, his left leg and left arm was on his right side and vice versa. The transposition of his consciousness from his physical to his projected second body somehow produced a ‘mirror image’ effect.

Very cool, this finding explains much for me.
Report Spam   Logged

adrian
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 02:39:28 pm »

Melatonin is a natural substance that helps induce lucid dreaming. Our body naturally produces it, and as we get older we produce it less. That is why the older we get the less sleep we need. *the source for this information is my wife, she was a biology, horticulture major* You can buy it at any grocery store, or corner drug store, usually in 3mg or 5mg pills. Start with 3mg as it knocks you out!

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Skyflower
Administrator
Sage

Lori~ann

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 03:34:15 pm »

Melatonin, though easy to get in the States is sorta hard to come by in Canada.  I think it may be banned.   Of course, there's always the Internet.    Grin
Report Spam   Logged

mayflow
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 05:47:31 pm »

Except there is a problem with melatonin - anyone with depression shouldn't take it. It can also induce nightmares. When it comes to lucid dreaming, there are more natural ways to enhance it.

Like concentrate on a speck or spot of light (or lots of them!) Follow it or them
around. Send them into infinite space and all around. See one or more of them
inside your mind or brain or body and move it around as it leads you or as you please to see or follow it. Make a pattern of it if you like! - Or allow it to form it's own patterns and just wonder at it's wonderfulness! Then your mind will create
melatonin or whatever as per wish or desire. It's really quite better than any
human pharmacy!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: